Academy Member Inducted 2020
Vincent L. Ready
Suite 300 - 1275 West 6th Avenue
Vancouver, BC V6H 1A6
Fax: (604) 691-2556
Recognized to British Columbia Chapter for:
Labour Arbitration Specialist
Other ADR Services: Facilitation, Fact Finding, Med-Arb
In 1982 Mr. Ready established his private arbitration/mediation practice. Presently, he is active in every province and territory of Canada, and is named as an Arbitrator/Mediator in over 600 Collective Agreements. He has arbitrated and/or mediated over 7,000 labour and commercial disputes in Canada, including, but not limited to:
- The forest industry, including arbitrations and mediations under the Timber Harvesting Contract and Subcontract Regulations
- Heavy construction industry
- The grain industry in Thunder Bay and the Vancouver Port
- The airline industry across Canada ï¿½ Air Canada, Canadian Airlines
- Railroad industry across Canada ï¿½ CN, CP & BC Rail
- British Columbia, Saskatchewan, Newfoundland, Yukon and Northwest Territories school teacher disputes;
- Pulp, mining, food and hotel industries;
- Firefighting and police groups;
- Health care disputes in British Columbia, Saskatchewan, Ontario and Prince Edward Island;
- Other multi-faceted public sector disputes in British Columbia, Saskatchewan, Ontario, Prince Edward Island and Newfoundland
- Mediated a recommended settlement in the pulp industry in 1992
- Internal union arbitrator/mediator, i.e. Hospital Employees' Union and Hospital Employees' Staff Union, and United Steelworkers of America and United Food & Commercial Workers.
Mr. Ready has facilitated the establishment of new workplace relationships in various industries across Canada, including: mining, forestry, food processing and health care.
His recent appointments include:
- Commission of Inquiry for Province of Prince Edward Island re health reform;
- Appointed Member of the Construction Industry Review Panel for Province of British Columbia;
- Appointed Co-Chair of Section 3 Labour Relations Code Review Panel for Province of British Columbia;
- Industrial Inquiry Commissioner for Province of British Columbia re 1996 collective bargaining dispute in province-wide health care sector covering 86,000 workers. Report and recommendations issued May 8, 1996;
- Industrial Inquiry Commissioner for Province of British Columbia re Ambulance Service;
- Industrial Inquiry Commissioner for Province of British Columbia re several pulp industry disputes;
- Industrial Inquiry Commissioner for Province of British Columbia re BC Ferry Corporation dispute;
- Industrial Inquiry Commissioner for Province of British Columbia re Education - K-12 Sector;
- Special Mediator for BC Rapid Transit and CUPE (Skytrain);
- Special Mediator for British Columbia re Coast Mountain Bus Co. Ltd. and CAW-Canada and Translink and OPEIU and Translink and CUPE;
- Industrial Inquiry Commissioner for Health Employers Association of British Columbia and British Columbia Nursesï¿½ Union;
- Conciliation Commissioner under the Canada Labour Code re B.C. Terminal Elevator Operatorsï¿½ Association on behalf of Cascadia Terminal, Pacific Elevators Limited, James Richardson International Limited, Saskatchewan Wheat Pool, and United Grain Growers Limited and Grain Workersï¿½ Union, Local 333; and
- Mediator for the Province of Manitoba re Tolko Industries Ltd. (Manitoba Soft Wood Division) and IWA-Canada, Local 324.
Mr. Ready has acted as guest lecturer on mediation and arbitration and alternative dispute resolution at various conferences and training seminars for unions, employers, and educational institutions. In 2011, Mr. Ready was inducted into the prestigious National Academy of Arbitrators in the USA. Mr. Ready is also recipient of the Bora Laskin Award and the William Kelly Award.
- Workplace Rights
Vince Ready has worked in labour relations since 1965, when he became a Representative and Organizer for the International Union of Mine, Mill and Smelter Workers (Canada). Between 1967 and 1978 Mr. Ready worked as an Organizer, Staff Representative, Troubleshooter, and Area Supervisor for the United Steelworkers of America.
In 1978 Mr. Ready commenced his practice as a third party neutral when he was appointed Conciliation Officer for the Federal Government, Mountain Region. Later, he acted as a Mediation Officer for the Government of British Columbia.
Memberships & Affiliations
- Arbitrators Association of British Columbia
- Register of Arbitrators under the British Columbia Labour Relations Code.
- National Academy of Arbitrators