Academy Member Inducted 2020Map & Directions
Hon. Neil Wittmann KC
Jamieson Place, Suite 501.308 4th Ave SW
Calgary, AB T2P0H7
Recognized to Alberta Chapter for:
Civil/Commercial Mediation & Arbitration
Regularly travels out of province to: British Columbia
- Practice Commenced1992
- # of MEDS (as of 30/5/23)
- # of ARBS (as of 30/5/23)
Online / In-Person
Neil Wittmann was in private law practice in Alberta, mainly Calgary, for approximately 31 years. He was appointed to the Court of Appeal of Alberta in 1999, Associate Chief Justice of the Court of Queen’s Bench of Alberta in 2005 and Chief Justice 2009-2017. He is a fellow of the Canadian College of Consruction Lawyers and the American College of Trial Lawyers. He is a Member of the Law Socirty of Alberta and the Canadian Bar Association. Prior to his appointment as a judge, he seved as a Bencher of the Law Society of Alberta and as its President. He was the founding Chair of the Canadian Lawyers' Insurance Association and was the President of the Canadian Bar Insurance Association. He also served a term as the Chair of the Standards Advisoty Board of the Canadian Institute of Chartered Accountants. From 1998-2010 he was the Chair of the Alberta Law Reform Institute and a Uniform Law Commissioner for Alberta.. As a judge, Neil Wittmann was a Director of the Canadian Superior Courts Judges Association until 2005. From 2008 to 2017, he was Vice Chair of the Canadian Judicial Council's Conduct Committee. He was a Canadian Football League Arbitrator 2006-2017.Neil Wittmann was embedded with the Calgary Police Service from May 2017-April 2018. He prepared a report "Use of Force" in the Calgary police Service.
Since 2018, Neil Wittmann has been engaged as an arbitrator and mediator in many large commercial, construction, energy and other disputes in Alberta and British Columbia. He has also been a mediator and counsel in similar matters in other parts of Canada.
- Contract Disputes
- Energy Sector (Oil/Gas/Nuclear)
- Estates & Trusts
- Land Use/Planning
- Public Utilities
- Bachelor of Commerce, (1964) University of Manitoba
- Bachelor of Laws, (1967) University of Alberta
- Doctorate of Laws, (Hon.) (2013) University of Lethbridge.
Memberships & Affiliations
- Fellow of the Canadian College of Construction Lawyers
- Fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers
- Founding Chair of the Canadian Lawyers’ Insurance Association
- Former Chair of the Standards Advisory Board of the Canadian Institute of Chartered Accountants
- Past President of the Canadian Bar Insurance Association
- Former Uniform Law Commissioner for Alberta
- Bencher of the Law Society of Alberta from 1990 through 1997 and served as its President in 1996-97.
Please call office for rates information.