Academy Member Inducted 2023
Recognized to Ontario Chapter for:
Other ADR Services: ADR Systems Design, ADR Training Services, Facilitation, Fact Finding, Neutral Evaluation
Online / In-Person
Marshall helps litigators resolve cases successfully and efficiently. He has mediated over 2000 cases where he has achieved a high rate of settlement due to his practical and determined approach, and ability to connect with counsel and their clients.
His practice areas include all areas of insurance law (bodily injury, premises liability, long-term disability, accident benefits, property, subrogation, and professional negligence), employment, workplace, human rights, health, condominium, commercial, and banking.
Marshall has a diverse dispute resolution profile and skill set; having practiced as a litigator, mediator, arbitrator, investigator, and ombudsperson.
Below are some comments from counsel who use Marshall as a Mediator:
I have found Marshall capable and adept at facilitating settlement, often when resolution seemed out of reach. A significant skill of Marshall's is that he achieves the right balance between pushing lawyers and their clients, but not beyond their point of comfort.
He brings a wealth of invaluable experience and insight as an Arbitrator to the table. He is a keen and patient listener who quickly understands the issues and works with the parties in a thoughtful and productive manner.
I was always pleased with his practical approach and ability to build rapport with all parties. He is a good listener to both sides of a dispute and was instrumental in achieving fair resolutions.
Marshall has also been the Respectful Workplace Ombudsperson (RWO) for the City of London, Ontario, since 2020, and has been a Member (mediator and adjudicator) of the Condominium Authority Tribunal of Ontario since 2022. He is also a former adjudicator of the Immigration & Refugee Board of Canada, Refugee Protection Division.
He is on the Board of Directors for the Children’s Aid Society of Toronto and the ADR Institute of Ontario. From 2017 until 2022, Marshall was the Chair of the Complaint and Resolution Council for Student Societies (“CRCSS”) at the University of Toronto.
- Banking & Finance
- Business Dissolution
- Contract Disputes
- Cross Cultural
- Disability Claims
- Estates & Trusts
- Health Care
- Human Rights Act
- Libel & Slander
- Non-Profit Organizations
- Nursing Homes
- Personal Injury
- Premises Liability
- Product Liability
- Professional Fees
- Professional Liability
- Professional Malpractice
- Professional Negligence
- Property Damage
- Sexual Harassment
- Shareholder Disputes
- Workplace Rights
- Wrongful Death
- Wrongful Dismissal
- 2008-2010: York University, Osgoode Hall Law School, LL.M. Specializing in Alternative Dispute Resolution
- 1991-1994: University of British Columbia Vancouver. B.C. Faculty of Law – JD
- 1987-1991: University of Toronto, Faculty of Arts – B. A. (History)
- 2017: Med-Arb: Efficiency or Justice Compromised
- 2016: Adler Faculty of Continuing Education, Foundations of Professional Coaching
- 2015: Human Rights Theory and Practice
- 2014: Society of Ontario Adjudicators and Regulators (SOAR) & Osgoode Professional Development, Certificate of Adjudication for Administrative Agencies, Boards and Tribunals
- 2013: Conflict Management Coaching (Workshop)
- 2010: Law Society of Upper Canada, Employment Law CLE
- 2009: Benard & Associates, Investigating Allegations of Sexual Abuse
- 2009: the Stitt Feld Handy Group, Advanced ADR Workshop
- 2008: the Stitt Feld Handy Group, ADR Workship
- 2008: The International Ombudsman Association, Ombudsman 101
Memberships & Affiliations
- The Children’s Aid Society of Toronto, Member, Board of Directors
- The ADR Institute of Ontario (ADRIO), Member, Board of Directors
- 2018-2022: The ADR Institute of Ontario (ADRIO), Member at Large, Insurance Section
- 2018-2022: Ontario Bar Association, Member, ADR Executive Committee & Insurance Executive Committee
- 2017-2022: the University of Toronto, Chair, Complaint and Resolution Council for Student Societies
- 2016-2017: Toronto Lesbian and Gay Tennis Club, Vice President
- 2010-2013: St. Michael’s Home, Board Member
- 2009-2013: Osgoode Hall Law School, Mediator/Coach, ADR Project
- 2007- 2008 Toronto Triggerfish Water Polo Club, President, Downtown Aquatic Corporation
- 2005- 2009 PACT, Facilitator/Mediator, Youth Diversion Program