Academy Member Inducted 2022Map & Directions
Civil/Commercial Mediation & Arbitration
Other ADR Services: Facilitation, Insurance Umpire, Med-Arb, Mini-Trial, Neutral Evaluation
- Practice Commenced: 1996
- Total Mediations (as of May 2022): 500
- Total Arbitrations (as of May 2022): 150
The Honourable François Rolland, O.C., Ad. E., is senior counsel, mediator and arbitrator in Langlois Lawyers’ litigation group in Montréal.
Mr. Rolland was a Justice of the Superior Court of Québec from 1996 to 2015, and Chief Justice from 2004 to 2015. He presided numerous trials in all areas of the law, including commercial law, class actions, insolvency and corporate reorganizations, as well as matrimonial disputes. He also presided many settlement conferences in civil, commercial and family matters, as well as several facilitation conferences in criminal matters. Mr. Rolland actively worked on the implementation of the Settlement Conference Chamber and on the creation of the Class Actions Chamber, and made an active contribution to the development of Commercial Chamber of the Superior Court.
Since retiring from the bench, Mr. Rolland has rejoined the Québec Bar. He was appointed director of the Voluntary Reimbursement Program created by the Québec government pursuant to the Act to ensure mainly the recovery of amounts improperly paid as a result of fraud or fraudulent tactics in connection with public contracts, a mandate that he completed in December 2017. He also presides over mediations and acts as an arbitrator in commercial disputes, including multijurisdictional class actions.
Throughout his career as a lawyer and Chief Justice, Mr. Rolland has been invited to speak on many occasions to various local, national and international audiences including students, colleagues, members of the business community and international dignitaries. He also taught ethics at the National Judicial Institute for ten years.
ADR SPECIFIC NOTES HERE
- Business Dissolution
- Class Actions
- Competition Act
- Contract Disputes
- Disability Claims
- Divorce (High Asset)
- Family Businesses
- Information Technology
- Intellectual Property
- Legal Malpractice
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Product Liability
- Professional Liability
- Professional Malpractice
- Professional Negligence
- Shareholder Disputes
- Unfair Competition
- LL.L., Université de Montréal, 1974
Memberships & Affiliations
- 2019 – Founding member and member of the executive committee of the Institut québécois de la réforme du droit et de la justice (Québec Institute for Law and Justice Reform)
- Since 2016 – Ethics commissioner for the Québec Bar
- Board of Directors of legal education organization Éducaloi – Since 2017 – Chair
- Board of Directors of the centre for access to legal information (CAIJ) – 2018 – Vice-chair
- Since 2009 – Member of the Board of Directors of the Canadian Forum on Civil Justice
- Since 2008 – Member of the International Insolvency Institute
- Since 1975 – Member of the Canadian Bar Association
Please call for details.