Academy MemberMap & Directions
Recognized to Ontario Chapter for:
Civil/Commercial Mediation & Arbitration
Other ADR Services: ADR Training Services, Facilitation, Fact Finding, Med-Arb, Neutral Evaluation
- Practice Commenced: 1981
- Total Mediations (as of Nov 2021): 3000
- Total Arbitrations (as of Nov 2021): 1000
In addition to being a barrister Ms. Kelly is an active arbitrator and mediator in simple and complex disputes including: assault, franchise operations, construction, commercial, employment (including harassment and discrimination), civil, personal injury, insurance, sports, trade and transportation.
A popular and sought after speaker, Ms. Kelly is a past Executive Director of ADR Chambers, Canada's premier dispute resolution group for commercial and international disputes. Ms. Kelly is co-author of Mediation: Principles, Process, Practice, the first Canadian textbook on mediation, published by Butterworths, and Editor of O'Brien's Arbitration and Mediation Forms, Canada Law Book.
- Class Actions
- Consumer Rights
- Contract Disputes
- Disability Claims
- Estates & Trusts
- Family Businesses
- Health Care
- Libel & Slander
- Medical Malpractice
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Personal Injury
- Premises Liability
- Product Liability
- Professional Malpractice
- Professional Negligence
- Property Damage
- Public Policy
- Railroad & Trucking
- Shareholder Disputes
- Workers' Compensation
- Wrongful Death
- Wrongful Dismissal
Originally from Calgary, Alberta, Ms. Kelly is a graduate of the University of British Columbia, (1973, Commerce and Business Administration, and 1982, Law), and Osgoode Hall Law School, York University (1999, Masters of Law in Alternative Dispute Resolution). Ms. Kelly has been called to both the British Columbia and Ontario Bars. She qualified as an Arbitrator in 1981, a Lawyer in 1983 and began her mediation practice in 1984. Ms. Kelly continually updates her Profefessional Education and Training.
Memberships & Affiliations
Current and Past Appointments include
- Fellow, Chartered Institute of Arbitrators [FCIArb]
- 2009 - 2015 Vice-Chair Workplace Safety and Insurance Appeals Tribunal
- 2003-2009 Member, Health Professions Appeal and Review Board
- Mutual Fund Dealers Association, Member Central Regional Panel; Chair Discipline Hearings
- Hearing Officer, Administrative Penalty Tribunal, City of Toronto
- Chair OBA Insurance Law Section *
- Chair, Vice-Chair OBA ADR Section
- Chair CBA ADR Section
- Member Board of Directors ADR Institute of Ontario * Board Member and Secretary, Moss Park Arena Board of Management\
- Roster Mediator for Professional Engineers Ontario Alternative Dispute Resolution Process
- GIO Roster Mediator, Insurance Bureau of Canada
- Member NAFTA 2022 Advisory Committee on Private Commercial Disputes.
- Appointed by the Minister of Economic Development and Trade (Ontario) to the Chapter 17 dispute settlement roster of the Agreement on Internal Trade (one of five original appointments).
- Ms. Kelly was one of five panelists on the first AIT dispute to go forward to a Panel under Chapter 17, the "MMT" dispute, heard in 1998.
- Arbitrator, Canadian Transportation Agency, Ottawa, Ontario, for transportation disputes between shippers and carriers.
- Pre-hearing Arbitrator, Financial Services Commission (OIC), Province of Ontario.
- Third Party Neutral, Education Relations Commission, Province of Ontario.
- Third Party Neutral, Centre for Sport and Law, Ottawa, Canada.
- Private neutral, and approved roster or panel member for a number of local, national and international organizations, and mediation centres, including the Tri-partite Registry of Mediators for the International Mediation Centre, Dallas Texas.
- The Canadian Foundation for Dispute Resolution, Director and Co-chair Standards and Criteria Committee; member of third party neutral panel.
- Appointed by the Chief Justice of the Ontario Court (General Division), to the User's Committee - Alternate Dispute Resolution Centre.
- Member, Case Management and ADR Committees of the Advocates' Society
- Founding member and Past Chair of the Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) section of the Canadian Bar Association-Ontario; Past Chair National ADR Section, Canadian Bar Association; elected member of National Council.
- Member, American Bar Association and Co-chair of the Associates Committee, Dispute Resolution Section.
- Chair, co-chair, Lecturer or Trainer of/in numerous Skills Development Programs including interviewing, communication, negotiation, mediation, arbitration, and advocacy for lawyers, arbitrators, mediators, educators and other professionals.
- Member - The Advocates' Society.
- Member - ADR Institute of Ontario.
Please call for details